Friday, February 8, 2013

A Russian Imperial Stout Friday night.

As a lover and supporter of craft beer and local businesses, it was incredible for me to stumble upon both of them in one a few months back!

Already knowing of Tallahassee's current breweries: Proof, Fermentation Lounge, & Momo's Brewpub; I randomly googled Tallahassee breweries. Up popped Grasslands Brewing Company. After perusing their website I discovered that you can win beer for free! [free!!!] All you have to do is give feedback on the beer, so the recipes can be perfected!

After signing up to be a Grasshopper [even comes with a neat nickname!], I began receiving weekly, informational emails about the progress and thought process behind Grasslands Brewing Company. It's definitely neat to see how a brewery gets started, and how many decisions go into it!

Two weeks ago, Gabe [owner & Master BrewSlinger, his words not mine!] sent out an email about this years first beer lottery. Three types of beers were being given away, and I was lucky enough to get a bottle of Black Rose Immortal Imperial Stout.

I met up with Gabe on Wednesday & received my BRIIS. It even came with a note that included some background information on the beer, and a newbies guide to reviewing beer, which I needed.

Grasslands Black Rose Immortal Imperial Stout

So here it goes. This is my first time reviewing a beer, so sorry if it's not all fancy and beer-snobby. 

Appearance - Pours a dark brown head about 3/4"

Smell - Overwhelmingly chocolate, followed by dark fruits and malt 

Taste - Sweet chocolate at first, followed by a slight hoppyness that increases as the beer gets warmer.

Mouthfeel [still not really sure what this means, but here goes] - Not overly carbonated, and much lighter than I expected. 

Overall - Not as hoppy as I was expecting, and very chocolate forward. Very drinkable for a 10% RIS, and I personally love the chocolate flavors. 

Now comes the biggest test, comparison to the King of RIS, North Coast Old Rasputin. 

Honestly, in a side my side test, I preferred Grasslands Black Rose. Maybe it's my inclination towards sweeter beers, and chocolate, but I found Black Rose to be more drinkable, better tasting. 

Be sure to follow Grasslands on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram, and be on the lookout for some delicious Grasslands brew sometime in 2014! 


No comments:

Post a Comment